Mold is a health hazard and negatively affects Indoor Air Quality. Microorganisms are everywhere and spread rapidly wherever water is available. Dust and dirt normally present in most indoor spaces provide sufficient nutrients to support microbial growth. While mold can grow on all materials, some materials can prevent dirt accumulation, moisture penetration and mold growth.
The Iowa Department of Public Health does NOT recommend testing for the presence of mold for several reasons:
It is not necessary to use bleach on mold, unless your intention is to disinfect the surface. If you choose to use bleach to disinfect an area or to remove mold stains, follow these guidelines:
1. Clean the surface first and remove all debris.
2. Provide ventilation with a fan, open window, or door.
3. Prepare the bleach solution according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Keep the surface wet for 15 minutes before wiping it down.
4. Never mix bleach with ammonia or any other cleaners.
5. Rinse the area with clean water.
Chuck retired from an engineering management career to start a home inspection business