My List of Home Buying and Home Safety Links
Home Buying Resources
- Realtor Resources - Search real estate property records, homes, condos, land and more. This is the best resource to find property info from the most comprehensive source of home data online.
- For Sale by Owner Websites - One way to save money when selling your home is to do all the work yourself. You can save 6% - 7% off of the home buying/selling transaction.
- ForSalebyOwner.com - This is a popular "For Sale By Owner" website on the Internet. It has been around since 1999, is very informative, and easy to navigate and use.
- HomesbyOwner.com - This powerhouse community of websites has a large marketplace that claims to get over 1 million visitors a day.
- FSBO.com - This company has been around since 1997 and offers a reasonably large database of homes for sale by owner.
- Fizber.com - Another, less known website for those wanting to save the realtor fees.
- How to Save for a Down Payment on a House - How Much You Need for a Down Payment and Where Should You Get It?
Do It Yourself Help (DIY)
- Mr. Fix-It - Tom Feiza has great advice on home repair, home improvements and many do-it-yourself projects
- DoItYourself.com - Got a project? Need inspiration or advice from pros? Looking for support from fellow do-it-yourselfers? Check out these top-rated do-it-yourself websites.
- Do It Yourself Network - You’ll find a large community of viewers, just like you, who share videos and pictures. Some of the show hosts have blogs where they share ideas that might not have made it to air.
- Natural Handyman - The Natural Handyman offers his 35+ years of experience to do-it-yourselfers. There’s nothing this man hasn’t seen, and he shares it all. There is an extensive list of articles on everything related to home maintenance and repair
- Easy 2 DIY - This site has many great tools for any DIYer. This site has a lot of information about any tool you could ever need.
- Better Homes and Gardens DIY - This site features many quick projects that can dress up a room or give you storage space you never knew you had. There are lots of instructions for easy projects that can add a certain something to any room, or the finishing touch to any project.
- Home Improvement Guide - Home improvement is a wide category that encompasses everything from painting a hallway or installing a new garbage disposal to overhauling a bathroom or even undertaking a home addition.
Home Remodeling Ideas
Home Safety/Health Information
- 9 Most Common Safety Hazards in the Home - The Safewise Report. 9 Safety Hazards to Watch Out for Around the House
- U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) - Research recalls, report an unsafe product, and research reports for selected consumer products
- Burglar Protection - How to Deter Burglars: Keeping Potential Robbers Away From Your Home
- Mesothelioma - Approximately 3,000 people are diagnosed with malignant mesothelioma in the United States every year. In most cases, these victims’ exposure took place on the job and the cause of the illness can be traced to an unsafe workplace.
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) - Research topics involving the environment.
- Radon Gas - Home Buyers & Sellers Guidance - The official U.S. website providing official information on radon gas.
- Indoor Air Quality - Whether you live in an apartment, townhouse or single family home, an old home or are building a new home, there are many ways to protect and improve your indoor air quality.
- Lead in the Home - Protect your family from the exposures to lead.
- Retirement Calculator - Is your retirement funded?